Wednesday, June 4, 2008

midging for gills

If you have read my brother's blog about his whitefish midging exploits in Northern MN, I don't have to explain the fly or the frustration that JP, CA and I met with last night on one of our local lakes. We waded in and spread out along an even depth shoreline. At approx 8:30 the midges arrived and the fish started sipping. We tried buggers, poppers, nymphs, streamers and dries of all shape, size and fashion. We managed a few bass and a few gills, but nothing compared to the number of riseforms that we often times saw within a rods length away. By 10 pm the midges were fading and the fish were no longer showing. I suspect our lack of success was based purely on the abundance of natural food available, a "super-hatch". We just couldn't compete. I, however, cannot leave well enough alone and intend to go back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are nice fat bluegills. Suitable with romaine, homemade tartar and toasted marbled rye.
K