Sunday, April 13, 2014

Winter Steelheading on a Trout Crick

Do you know what the difference is between yesterday's trout fishing and winter steelheading?

Nothing.

The morning unfolded and after baby chickens and cased pork like product was consumed I shot MK a message and asked him about the day.

He said he was going....I said I was going.

We met at the creek and peered into 6-8" of visibility and promptly decided to throw (in MK's vernacular) "Junk".

Quarter down, mend up, swing, strip retrieve, repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.

On a stream where the best option most days is tied on a size 18 hook, the 4" long marabou string leech I was throwing was indeed looking like "Junk".  MK's pattern of choice was directly out of Kelly Galloup's play book and I am certain that we were both sending 8" fish fleeing in fright.

We worked upstream, leapfrogging to the heads of runs and then fishing back down.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.

After a numbing two hours, I pitched across a shallow gravel bar, threw a mend and waited for the line to come tight for yet another swing.  The line came tight in a long downstream belly and when I lifted the rod tip to free the fly from the shallow gravel where I assumed it got hung up, the rod bucked, the water frothed and I got a sneak peak at a nice 16"-17" brown before it came unpinned and I stood there looking (and feeling) like a complete stupe.

1 shot.
1 fail.

It's a good thing I have been practicing this sort of think for 24 years and that I spent the entire winter dreaming of this opportunity so that I could be on my "A" game when I finally got the chance.

Or Not.

The temps continued to drop and I wished that I had thrown on the other jacket under my rain jacket.
At least I had the brains to bring the rain jacket.

Because it started to rain.
Cold rain.

I stood, in the cold rain, swinging junk catching nothing and blowing the only shot I had.
Which is just like winter steelheading.

Before it was all over I'd missed 3 more fish, landed a small one and also hooked and landed a decent fish.

The good fish instantly warmed my fingers and my soul.

Just like winter steelheading.













No comments: