Friday, April 11, 2014

Launch

The boat rigging is basically done.
I took the Yamaha into the shop to have the gas line and fuel tank replaced under recall warranty.
The hatch cover and anchor locks have been installed and hydroturf was added to the tongue of the trailer to make it less likely to have my feet slip when I'm shoving off or loading.
I bought a spare trailer tire and mounted it to the trailer and also picked up a 7 pin to 4 pin converter so my truck and trailer can make the electrical connection.  I replaced the old masterlock with a bonafide trailer hitch lock too.  The DNR guy at a local outdoor expo told me that I since my floor can trap combustible gas (not likely) I needed a fire extinguisher on board.  Instead of arguing or splitting hairs I just picked up a 2.5 lb tank and threw it in a bag under the casting deck.

I rewrapped the oars and measured and tightened the Oar-Rights...I was sitting in my boat on the street out in front of the house when I did this last task.  A few cars drove by and had to swing wide around the oars.  I can only imagine what they were thinking/muttering.

I dropped the trailer onto the ball, connected the lights and headed out.
I couldn't help but admire her in the rearview mirror on the way to the ramp.
It's been quite a project getting to this point and it's been a long winter of waiting.

With my 7wt a few spools of tippet and a box of carp flies, I shoved off, started up the Yamaha, eased her up on plane and scooted to the mud flats.  I'll have to check the actual depth but I know I was running in some pretty skinny water.  I almost considered cutting her back to make sure that no new wood was present beneath the surfacebut then I decided...damn the torpedoes.  As my friend RS suggested, "It's time to get some scratches on it..."

The wind was up, the sun was hiding and I didn't care.
I cut the engine and lifted it out of the water so I could see how the oar lock placement and wider beam felt with the sticks in my hand.  It rowed well and I was happy.

Next, I jumped up on the casting deck and shifted my weight around to see how stable it felt.  Again I was pleased.  I dropped my back against the lean bar and drifted.

I swore I saw a fish jump against the reeds on the southeast side of the flat...I was staring hard expecting a duck to pop up when I saw a second fish and then a third.  An osprey was wheeling over head and I was momentarily unsure of what to do next.  Get a pic of the osprey or hightail it over to the fish? I did both.

To make a long story short, the osprey had a fish.  A seagull wanted the fish.  It was pretty cool to watch the dogfight.  The fish rising were carp.  A lot of carp.  I eased the boat into what I will call the "middle of them" and started casting.  The light was bad and the water was too dark to see fish.  It wasn't too dark to see the puffs of mud caused by fish bolting from the boat.  A guide I fish with in the Bahamas tells me that bonefish can feel (with their lateral lines) the pressure of water pushing off the hull of the boat.  As I stood casting and coming up blank It occurred to me that perhaps carp do the same thing.

I raked a few fish casting blind but otherwise got blanked. 

I know it's just a few more days before the wind drops and the sun shines and these carp are going to have to eat my fly.







No comments: