Sunday, April 20, 2014

Flock Shooting My Sunday

The weekend outing consisted of me trying to see carp that WERE there but couldn't be seen and casting anyway and taking in a host of bird species (Gulls, Canes, Osprey, Mallards, Teal, Kingfisher etc) and not getting any decent photos of them. 

Pick a target and stay on target. 

I did not.

I flung my flies into schools of fish I couldn't see and took potshots with my camera.

Flock shooting my Sunday.

My best "bird" photo from the weekend...

Moving out

Casting deck, lean bar, stripping bucket...all performed as intended

I just about floated right by.

This is how close they had to be to see them.  And then...

...this.

View from the nosegunner's nest

Shot this on the flyby at 20 mph...stab in the dark.


5 comments:

JG said...

Carp!! Now that looks like fun from the new rig...Whats the water temp?
Are the fish actively feeding or lazing about? God, those things drive me crazy.

salmobyfly said...

JG, water is cold...guessing mid-high 40's. Carp are thick and moving and splashing and not eating. I'll stay on it...they drive me crazy too.

JG said...

I found in the past during the cold water pre-prespawn, that if I can find any sort of sheltered cove, bay etc. that is out of the current and can warm up more so than the mother water body, preferably with a beating sun on it to boot, I can sometimes find a few players...ahhh, the vagaries of yarping.

salmobyfly said...

My real problem was clarity...the only reason I really want to fish them is for the sight game. Good points about the warmer water though. I'll keep that in mind!

JG said...

You just can't beat the thrill of a take where you can literally watch the carp "see" you fly, make up his mind to inspect your fly, then simply upturn his mouth and puff his gills and inhale your fly...than whammo! magic or chaos. It all depends on how ready you are, i suppose. Because until it actually happens, you never think the damn thing is going to eat your fly.