Sunday, March 16, 2014

Full Circle?

I was walking the banks of my home trout stream recently when I spotted a bit of fur.  I stooped, picked it up, gave it the sniff test and pocketed it. 

I figured an owl must've destroyed a squirrel and left it's meatless tail for me...

It sat on the dash of my car as MK and I drove north to a flyshop for a day of talking about steelhead with a bunch of guys that appreciate fish like that.

I glanced at it a few times as we drove and decided that it should become bonefish flies.

This morning I brought the vise upstairs to the dining room table and started in.

2 dozen flies...1/2 doz heavy dumbell eyes, 1/2 doz light dumbell eyes, 1/2 doz heavy beadchain eyes, 1/2 doz light beadchain eyes.

As I was tying, the birds at the backyard feeder ceased their singing. 

The hawk in the tree stayed around just long enough for a few photos.

I decided that perhaps it wasn't an owl that ate this squirrel after all.

It was probably a hawk and I hoped it was this hawk.

That'd be pretty neat.

"Angler visited by hawk that provides him his tying material"

If indeed it WAS this hawk that ate THIS squirrel I have some logistics to work out.  Do hawk's hunting grounds extend over 25 miles? 

Maybe. 

But the bigger question?...the tail that I found is the same size and "feel" of a squirrel's tail...EXCEPT, whoever saw one this color??  Ginger with white tips?

Before 
  



During...                                                                                                         
Also, during
After

No comments: