Saturday, March 1, 2014

Early Season Opener 2014

I said I wasn't going and I meant it.

And then I went anyway.  I chose the closest trout water to my house and wore snowpants instead of waders, mukluks instead of wading boots.

6 flies, 1 spool of 4x and a hemostat.  I carried an 8' rod because it's easier to reach and de-ice the tip-top guide.

Mostly the snow was crusted hard from recent rains and thawing and it supported my weight.  Mostly.

The creek is small, clear and pretty shallow.  The trout are skittish and it would've made more sense to find a more forgiving flow than this one.

A dozen casts in, peering through the dim light and falling snow I saw the perception of a shadow move toward my marabou leech, I lifted and connected.  Small but fiesty, this would be the first fish of the season.

Nobody cares and points aren't awarded but it's still gratifying to check off this box.  It was a symbolic mission and this fish was the symbolic mission accomplished.

Now it needs to warm up so we can get serious.

little brown to get it all started

(Same fish...see caption above)

cold, inky ribbon

Father and Son, JP and RP on the opening day of early trout season.

RP threading the needle.

No comments: