Tuesday, May 14, 2013

This Morning

I'm often curious about the other hours.  Having spent last Sunday evening on a log in a local waterway, I thought it would be interesting to visit it at the other end of the day.  I set my alarm for 4:30 this morning, dressed quickly and pocketed 1 pair of scissors, 3 spools of tippet, a small box of flies, my camera, 6 wt and a hemostat.  I also included 1 piping hot cup of coffee.  Three minutes on the road and 1 minute to walk to "my" log. 

Having the sun sneak up on you is an entirely underrated event.   It's a little secret that is not lost on the denizens of this little wood plot next to the river.  It appears that they do not bemoan the start of another workday.

Completely in character I found myself thinking that the sun needed to be just a little higher...just a little higher so that I could see clearly into the water wrapping itself around and through the submerged branches of this old tree.  Wishing it higher as I also wished it would stop and allow me the morning all day.  Never satisfied, always wishing for the other.  The only real cure for this nonsense, this dysfunction, this punch clock view of the day...was to cast.  And, I did.  And the sun rose higher and the fish dropped their telltale shadows on the river's bottom and I cast to them. 

And they too rose...higher and higher.


Bluegill parked on a wood duck box

Out for breakfast

Female Redwinged Blackbird with baggage


Palm of Gill
Planked Crappie


Black Crappie


Carp Parade


No comments: