Friday, May 24, 2013

I've always wanted to try that... (fly fishing)

"You flyfish?  I've always wanted to try that..." 
I've heard it a hundred times.  I recently heard it again from the father of one of my daughter's friends.   The difference is this:

1. 1 week after I heard him say the words "I've always wanted to try that" (or at least some variation on the theme) he enrolled in a free intro to fly fishing class from the local Orvis store.

2. Prior to enrolling he ordered himself a rod, a reel and a line.

3. 4 days after the class he met me for some evening fishing...where we worked in some very basic intro casting stuff for 10 minutes and then he spent the next 3 hours giving it hell (2 of those hours were after dark)

4. Last night he sent me a text (this is now 5 days after the class) after taking his family up north to a place on a lake.  I think it's OK to print the text here because it isn't really private information and it's awesome.  The text said, "Got the monkey off my back.  Was fishing before we had even unloaded the car had landed 6 bass in 15 min". 
The best part of this text ISN'T that he caught his first fly rod fish...it's the enthusiasm.  My favorite line: "...before we had even unloaded the car."

5: Text from later that night: "Total for today: Scored on 7 lmb, 1 northern, 1 walley, 1 bgill. none of these were of any size.  [He names his wife here] now believes in flyfishing!"

6: I texted him back: "All on the fly?"

7: His response? - "All on the fly.  I didn't bring my other fishing gear."

I just love this.


No comments: