Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Good Enough for Today

I grew up in Northern Minnesota among the (then) pristine lakes and rivers of the arrowhead region.  I was fortunate to have endless public land and public water at my doorstep.  Moving south and east changed a lot of that for me.  While we have some very nice spring creeks here, most of the larger rivers and most of the lakes are pretty dinged up from agriculture and urbanization. 

Back home, on the days that I tromped through the woods and fished brook trout from the many spate streams in the area, it never occured to me to bring water.  When I got thirsty, I cupped my hands and drank. 

Today, here, I'd never consider it. 
I'm not even sure I'd be all that comfortable drinking it through a water filter. 

The closest river to my house is a prime example.  By early summer it runs green, completely charged with "nutrients".  It smells a little funny at times and the weed growth is incredible.  I know that many "enriched" streams that are healthy can run thick with biomass and their clarity is not that of the Lake Superior streams of my youth.  I read in a book about sunfish that the ideal clarity is when you dip your arm in the water and your fingertips are tough to see when the water reaches your elbow.   The author says that this is indicative of a "rich" body of water.  Still, I can't come to terms with it.  I know that my childhood waters are almost all oligotrophic and that the waters near my present home support exponentially more biomass...including gamefish.  The problem is, I can't see them.  Fly fishing is a very visual activity for me.  Just ask any of the local purveyors of high quality polarized sunglasses...they can testify.

But it's not all bad news.  Take today for example.  I spent my lunch break at a river that runs 2 miles from my house.  It's early May and I wanted to sight fish for some carp as they cruised the river banks during their prespawn feeding.  The weather has been decent the last few days but spring took it's own sweet time this year.  The visibility was good (probably 2'-3') and the fish were easy to spot with the high sun.  I saw at least 100 carp today, but only had one track my fly before turning tail.  Carp fishing is a hip pursuit for some but it bewilders most.  The truth is, they are the toughest fresh water fish to catch on a fly...at least around here.  They spook faster than any other fish I can think of...except maybe permit.  The bottom line is that they are a challenge.  And, they were challenging today. 

Despite not hooking up with the target species,  I was thrown a sweet consolation gift bag in the form of Largemouth Bass and Bluegills.  Both very visible in the shallows and both obviously looking to pack on the calories.  And so, armed with my 6 wt,  I fed them.  Again, and again, and again.  I watched each take and each short strike.  I cast to specific fish and even aimed for, and hooked, the largest fish in the schools. 
A beautiful May day.
Sight fishing for hungry fish.
2 miles from home.
On a river that I now realize,
despite all of my prior disdain,
was good enough for today





No comments: