Sunday, June 9, 2013

North Shore 2

I got back last night and stayed up talking until 12:30 in the morning.  I set my alarm for 4:30 and when it sounded I pulled on my fleece wader pants and grabbed a 7 oz Coke from the fridge instead of waiting for the coffee. 

The lake was still calm though I'd read that there was a chance for rain today so I wasn't sure how long the peace was going to last. 

I would have made a beeline for my rock except that I saw noses popping out of some foam in the lake and decided to pitch the streamer in for an exploratory probe before settling in for some deep water lake work.

On the third casts I connected briefly with 14 inches of fish that went airborne before denying me the the stick of the hook.  I think it was a brook trout which would mean that I may have to take a paragraph to explain what 14 inches of Brook Trout translates to in real fish size/numbers (for the uninformed).

But nah...

I gave up on the foam noses and headed out to my rock basking in the predawn light thinking about all of the fish that were swimming in front of me and wondering which would open their mouths for a deceiver.

I couldn't tell you how much time I spent casting but I can say that I was back at the kitchen table drinking coffee with my beautiful wife (by 6:30 am) explaining to her that I had caught and released a nice 26" post-spawn wild steelhead and almost got a great photograph of a Timber Wolf before she had even rolled out of bed.

Summer Steel

No comments: