Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pressing "One Fine Little Fly" into action

I arrived streamside today at about 1 pm and rigged up my rod with a fresh leader.  It was one of those days that seemed as if it could go either way - The clouds hung and the sun tried its best to shine through.  I was thinking rain and BWO's but it turned out there was just enough sun to get the caddis energized. 
Along the road, at a spot perfectly visible to anyone driving by, the caddis flitted and the trout rose.  I tied on one of the soft hackles that I wrapped up the other night and started to swing through.  There are days when this simple tactic is rewarded with a fish or two...and then there are days when every fish in the stream wants a taste...today was the latter.  I'm not a counter (usually) so I cannot tell you how many I landed between 1:30 and 5:30 but it was probably closer to 30 than 20.  And, this little stream coughed up a number of different year classes, always a welcome site for a guy who has no plans to move away anytime soon and realizes that 6 becomes 16 in a few years.  I went through 3 flies, one snapped off at some point in my casting and two were lost on savage strikes that had me cursing despite my overall success and the pleasantness of the day. 
It was my close friend TS who turned me onto this fly and this method of trout taking.  Nymphs have their place in the game, but on days like this I give thanks for the luck of stumbling across a guy like TS and wish every strike indicator a long life in its original packaging. 
Today was a treat.
Soft Hackle Brown

No comments: