Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Slick Stick and Hungry Pike

Subtract Winter...November, December, January, February, March.
Subtract Closed Seasons...April
Subtract windy days, cloudy days and days the river is blown.

=3.59days

That's the number of days you get per year on the local river where you can wear a t-shirt, throw big flies and watch the eats from 70 feet away.

That was today.

I pulled up at my desk at 7:30 and started working.  It was a good morning, busy. 

The sun was bright through my window and as I glanced up I couldn't help but notice that the wind was down. 

Back to work.

At 10:30 I started getting the itch.  It's like cabin fever but with a known cure...right outside the window.  I emailed my boss and asked for a 1/2 day off.  Work til noon and then fly.
Cool, "No, problem" he said.  Good guy.

The next mission was to determine if it was going to be a solo mission or...

KZ's message came through at 11:00, "Fishing this afternoon?"

Omen.

Amen.

I pushed off at 12:20, the water was clear, the sun was high.  A small pike bolted from cover just a few feet off of the launch.  I was drifting slowly, rigging rods.  Watching the bottom and counting the drum finning over the sand.

KZ pulled up and met me at the ramp and said that he left the rods in the truck since he saw mine were rigged.  

Yep, no problem.

He stowed his gear and grabbed the 10 weight,  made a few casts and then opted for a fly change, downsized a little with some additional sink. 

That fly was in for a beating.

We spent the afternoon poling down the river.  KZ wielding the 10 like a Jedi, casting bold and accurate, pinpoint pocket picking.  The fly landing in skinny water and fished in and around weed and wood. 

The pike fell all over it.

The takes were slashing slams, pouncing rolls from below and methodical eats.  Gills flared, teeth gnashed.

These were small pike, nothing giant or slobby.  But they were fast, hungry and plentiful. 

KZ offered the rod up to me and a few occasions but the view from the platform was too good.  The action too steady.  It was a YouTube video, "Awesome Pike Eats Compilation 2016".  

A few Largemouth took swipes, followed and impaled themselves too.   The drum kept finning and the carp swam through.  The gills were largely absent but it mattered not...BANG! Another pike.

By 4:30 we were satiated and with kids to pick up from school, I trailered up. 

Of the 3.59 days available on this river...

...we took one.













No comments: