Saturday, May 28, 2016

Saturday May 28th 2016

May is almost over.  I've watched 44 Mays come to an end and it seems that this one might have been the swiftest expiration of them all.  It is a long weekend and a rare one as we stayed at home and didn't load up the car with too much stuff, drive too far and come home late with too little sleep.  Just a mellow weekend...and this Saturday was a good day to just watch, look and listen.  And cast a few flies.

When the sun started to drop low, RS, JH and I made the trip to the lakeshore and waded out.  I picked up a smallmouth on one of my initial casts and thought that maybe I was in for a long evening of catching.  RS was posted up 30 yards off my left shoulder and JH was posted up 30 yards off of his. 

It's nights like this I am glad I carry my camera because the two of them stood mockingly and pulled in white bass after white bass while I went blank.  I changed flies, waded left, shot a few neighborhood casts their way and yet...nothing.

I suppose that this could have gone on for some time except that a lightning storm started tracking our way and we unanimously voted not to die tonight.  The fishing was cut short but the light show and lack of rain kept me on my camera for another 45 minutes after their departure.

I'd guess that they were both a little disappointed that the fishing ended.  I, on the other hand, was happy for the reprieve.
Albino House Finch at my feeder

Daisy Fleabane by the river

Backwater largemouth bass running daycare

RS hooked up

RS trying not to rub it in...this was his 3rd or 4th.

Lightshow 1


Lightshow 2

No comments: