Sunday, June 29, 2014

Smally Outing

The river dropped to the high 10,000's and I couldn't take it anymore.  I shot out a few emails and got a bite from EB who said he had some things to do but that he'd meet me at the ramp.

I probably should have called him before I left because as it happened he followed me out to the river and showed up only 15 minutes after I got there.  So it was two cars instead of one...Good thing this is 'merica and we have unlimited fossil fuels at our disposal.  Or not.

I rowed and EB worked the water.  The wind howled and the river raged.  The water was lapping high on the bank which is great because my prop doesn't smash into as much stuff but it's bad because the fish have more water and it takes a lot more looking to find them.

We found a few bait fish showers and anchored up to work the area.  We rowed and pitched at wood on the bank.  We headed to the bucket to see if there was a wolfpack crushing minnows.

All of this didn't pay off very well.

I'd read yesterday that somebody (that was not swimming) leapt off a bridge upstream.  It's always a little unnerving to be on water where they are looking for a body.  It's even more unnerving when you see a mass of gray pink jammed up under a sweeper.  We checked it out anyway.

What could have been a ruined day and call to the sheriff ended up to be a 4' long paddlefish, dead.

I've never seen one before so it was pretty cool even if it was dead.  It was also not the bridge jumper which was also nice.



No comments: