Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bahamas Day 4

More high tide, more wind.  ST thinks that the Bones are schooled outside and not up on the flats.  Despite all that, we push on.  At the peak of high tide we find ourselves out of the wind and up high in a mangrove pool.  "Two bonefish at one o'clock moving toward...200'.  "Got'em", I say.  As they get within range I fire.  They turn left.  I pick up and cast again...the fish are within a couple feet of the fly and ST says, "Short strip"...and I do.  One of them speeds up, tilts down and ST says, "long strip", stretching out the word to indicate that it should be a loooooong slow even pull.  The tail wags and the fish eats.

For awhile, it circles in the Mangrove pool and then it make a mad dash...straight into the wood.

As it gets close, I loosen my drag hoping it won't keep pulling.

But it does.

"Go get'em", ST suggests...and I hop out of the skiff and give chase.

I head to the point of entry in the mangroves , cranking the handle on my reel as I splash through the water and realize that the fish has gone deep.

The bone, thrashes fifty yards through the mangroves and I drop the rod and start running.

I pick up my flyline and follow it toward the splashing.

I reached the fish as ST yells, "drop the line and get the fish!"

I am a good direction follower so I do.

Reaching down, I lift the 5 pound bonefish form the mangrove root he is wrappeed around as CA snaps photos.

Not exactly how I dreamed it would be, but a great fish and neat story to tell...
Guides, getting the boats.

Bahamas Flats

The mangrove Bone...

The Bahamas I

The Bahamas II

200 yards is a lot more work coming in than going out...

ST and CA subdue a bonefish


CA with the target species

How I dream it to be...
How it can be...


Welcome to the sunny Bahamas

Dock Shark...After Hours.  Bait involved.



No comments: