Monday, July 1, 2013

Clarity

EB made a suggestion for a lake we should fish.  We texted back and forth and vacillated between the lake and gambling on some high water hex fishing for brown trout.  In the end, we trailered up my boat and hit the lake.

Clear.

That's how we found it. 

It's spring fed, has decent depth and is clear.  After bemoaning the green mid-summer water around here, I have found clarity.  It didn't really matter that we only hooked small gills and bass...it was clear. 

We pulled poppers and landed a few small fish.  The sun dropped and then the temps cooled off.  No mosquitoes and only sporadic rising gills.  At 9:45 or so, I dropped my rod and picked up the oars to slowly push EB around, trying to find edges and rising fish. 

EB cast and kept casting.  Nothing like a guy who is as eager to catch small gills as anything else.  I squinted my ears to listen for rising fish knowing that when we found them if EB presented the fly near them they would take a whack at late dinner.  

At 10:30 I rowed us back to the shore and kept my headlamp on the whole way... taking no small pleasure in looking into clear water.






No comments: