Sunday, March 3, 2013

WI early trout season

Another trout season is upon us.  I skipped the Saturday opener and opted to make a break for it on Sunday.  I tied flies Saturday night until 1 am.  It seemed like a fitting thing to do despite the piles of overflowing boxes that are stacked like cord-wood in my basement.  I was trying to determine whether I was going to micro-nymph with my 4 wt or bring something heavier and blow the dust off the winter by hucking big uglies to dark banks.  As it worked out, I brought a 4 and a 5 and ended up hucking with the 5.  The sun was high and the water was relatively low an clear.  My guides iced up every 5th or 6th cast but I was sweating after a brisk walk in coupled with a little over dressing.  I spent the day gloveless and slightly on the hot side of comfortable.  With the snow on the banks it was obvious that I was the first guy through this season.  Aside from goose, mice and a few other critter tracks...the beat was mine.
And, the fish were there.  I got a number of short grabs, spooked a few and blew a pig after a few heavy and serious head shakes.  All in all it was exactly what it was supposed to be.  The start of another season.




No comments: