Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bleak

Cold rain and drizzle falling on frozen ground runs downhill fast, taking with it what it can.

I ducked out of my domestic bliss and hit the closest body of trout water to my house. It's a short, tiny spring creek with deep outside bends and shallow inside corners.  The problem, unlike many of our spring creeks in this part of the world, is that by "outside bends" and "inside corners" I'm talking about unreadable currents that scour the stream bottom, not a geographical meandering that describes any other "normal" stream.  To sum it up, it appears that somebody, at some time, dredged this spring creek in a straight shot along a section line...the ugly and accurate name for such a move = digging a ditch.  The reason for my explaining all of this?...there is no way, short of memorization or high sun, to tell which bank is deep and which bank is shallow.  To further complicate things the width of the creek is about 8' across which means that casting to the deep bank can mean trying to hit a 12" target and then trying to work the fly through the deep, narrow ribbon of water.  Impossible on most days and utterly self-abuse with high water pushing twigs, leaves and fall's deciduous stew downstream today.  I had a decent brown trout shark my bunny leech on one of the real corners (and missed) and then I spent the next 90 minutes cleaning crap off of my leader and fly.  The cold rain kept falling and the dark gray sky just kept getting darker.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post man, nice to see someone discuss the "other species". For too long I was a trout snob. I like your boat man, gives me ideas for my jon. Keep up the good posts, good reading on non fishing days.

salmobyfly said...

Isaiah,
Thanks for reading and for the kind words.