Sunday, August 19, 2012

Jon Johnson needs a new name

After big mouthing for the past 8 years about how I really don't need more than a 6 horse because the Big W is too spooky to run at speeds much over 6 mph,  I started thinking about the Nipigon River and the Carp flats of Door County and how these waterways would be nice to exit quickly if, say, a guy had to.  I perused Craigslist for weeks and finally broke down and bought a new Yamaha 15 Horse 4 Stroke engine.  The dealer gave me fair price, a 5 year warranty and gave me on trade in what I paid for the Johnson 8 years ago.  In other words, I got a good deal.  So the Johnson is in the rear view mirror.  The Yamaha is quiet and goes like a bat outta hell (relatively speaking).  It actually has enough weight and torque that it started to stress the transom on Ol' Jon.  I was smart enough to add a transom saver when I bought it (probably saving me from having to call my insurance agent upon my return from towing it home from the dealer).  I took the girls out for a ride as part of the break in schedule and noticed a popped weld on the transom.  I quickly turned the boat back to the launch and made the some repairs/upgrades to the transom.  So far so good.
I'm not sure if I need to rename her Jon Yamaha or what.




No comments: