Wednesday, June 13, 2012

No hex, no film, no problem...

We know better, C.A. and I, about the ways of the hex.  A 71 degree evening in early-ish mid June with a stiff breeze is not what you'd call "ideal conditions". 
So we went anyway. 
That is the odd thing about fishing.  You can think you know and you go and get skunked and/or you can think you know better and you go anyway and you end up rearranging your sense of what is.

The latter being the case tonight. 

Here are the facts. 

The hex hatch didn't happen on the runs we were stalking.
Smallish fish dimpled to smallish flies.
Eager to fish I started casting my hex spinner (because, why not?) and I hooked a dinky stocker bow.
Not satisfied, I decide to wake a steelhead foam fly against the far bank....
(It would be really cool if the giant brown exploded on the waker wouldn't it?)
Nothing happened.
Deciding that the fish had most certainly seen at least a few hex nymphs making a break for the surface in the past few days, I tied on a bonefish fly.
To clarify, I was in my basement packing up my night/hex stuff for the evening fish.  I was shuffling fly boxes and happened to open a bonefish box that was the same color as one of my trout boxes.  A few of the flies seemed to be about the right size and color as a hex nymph so I threw them in the "to go" pile.  After parking and gearing up, the bonefish flies were in the bottom of my bag without a home so I stuck one in my hat.
When the waker failed and I wanted to change flies quickly in the failing light, I grabbed the easiest option...the fly stuck in my hat.
I touched 20+ trout in the next hour and a half.  I landed about half of them and they ranged from 13" to 15".
When I reconnected with C.A. at 11:00 pm I told him about the evening.
All he said was, "You are almost certainly the only guy who has a bonefish fly on (censored) Creek"

Sometimes you can think you know better and you go anyway and you end up rearranging your sense of what is.

Sidenote:
As anyone that stumbles upon this blog may have noticed, I love images,  pics of fish, flies and the places where the gear gets pressed into action.   On this particular night I snapped some (photographically poor) shots of brown trout, in various stages of release.  I would have posted them except that my memory card went south on me.  On a 0-5 star rating, I'd give the Nikura 32 gb Ultra High Speed Premium SDHC Card a big Ol' Fat ZERO.
I'm returning it tomorrow.


No comments: