Monday, July 4, 2011

Hex'n for Walleyes

July 4th has become a set fishing date for the hex hatch back in the motherland of MN.  This year was no exception.  The big mayflies wanted to peel of the water in droves but an oncoming storm cell must've triggered something in them to stay put...at least in the numbers that I'm used to.  My brother in law stayed loyal to the dry fly and pasted it over the sporadic risers.  He landed a bluegill and then a small northern on top before hooking up with a 4-5 pound walleye that became untethered tragically close to the canoe.  As for me, I'll confess I had a hex spinner pattern on for a few minutes, but with 2011 being "The Year of the Chartreuse and White Deceiver", I pitched that for most of the evening.  I landed 5 walleyes of which 4 were promptly hung on the stringer.  It's a game of torture with the event triggered by the audible hum of mosquitoes waking up and zeroing in on any portion of your body they can shove their noses into.  Seemingly strong barriers like cane canoe seats and Carhart pants are not deterrents.  We pulled the canoe off the lake and onto the trail at 11 pm and the storm unleashed itself at precisely that moment.  The rain was kind enough to wait until we had the gear stowed and the canoe lashed onto my brother in law's truck.  It wasn't a banner hex outing but the fishing was good enough and mosquitoes left us with enough blood to get back home and clean some fish.

No comments: