Thursday, July 24, 2008

Quite a time

Bacon made a stop in the land of Rum and Cheese and called me to float a northern river for smallies. I drove up and crashed at his folks house (Thank you, Bacon's Mom & Dad, for your hospitality) on Saturday night. 4:30 am Sunday morning the river beckoned and we hit the road with Jon Johnson in tow. We launched and I was introduced to one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever floated. Small mouth, and pike were landed. I managed to blow two of the larger smallmouth I'd ever hooked and lost a pike on a clean cut take. On one occasion Bacon had a smallie shark his fly and miss. A carp started to track the fly and before he could accept or refuse it, a pike cut the leader. Talk about a multi-species adventure. We camped out at DP's place on Sunday night and tied a few flies. Between DP and Bacon I saw a few new patterns that hold future promise in my arsenal. Monday am, after a stop for breakfast we launched DP's boat and spent the morning trying to work up a few bass. The fishing was a bit spotty, but everybody managed a few on poppers. I was able to corral an 18" smallie just prior to my noon departure. It deserves mention that Bacon hooked a fish at the same time and the his fish peeled line off and stayed deep...it never intended to be seen and never was. For a few chaotic minutes while we both tried to fight our respective fish, I was happy to be in DP's boat. I think somebody would've gotten wet if we tried that chinese firedrill in Jon Johnson. I left the two of them to fish the rest of the afternoon and made the trek back to the homefront. An excellent fishing trip made all the better by two guys who know the game well.

Jon Johnson - Battle ready

Bacon and quarry

18" before the final buzzer

1 comment:

t-mos said...

"Between DP and Bacon I saw a few new patterns that hold future promise in my arsenal."

The Bad Hair Day?