Sunday, July 10, 2016

River Running

I sent RS a message at 7:55 Pm on the 9th asking him to fish today.
He messaged me back affirmative.
It was a morning start, launching a little after 8 AM.  The sun was out and the world was our oyster.

As we slid downriver hitting spots and looking for smallies, I noticed a guy downstream and across the river, with a fly rod, working some water and throwing a decent line.  We kept fishing and after 30 minutes I saw the same guy again, further down, fishing a spot that I wanted to hit.  Again, nice line.

I thought he was camped on an island and on foot until I watched him beach his kayak at the bucket we were hoping to fish next. 
RS said, "I wonder if it's CA?"

I pulled out my phone and texted CA, "Are you working today?"
Knowing that he isn't always prompt to reply to text if he IS working, I snapped on my telephoto lens and took a few photos, zooming in on my camera screen to see if I could ID him.

Indeed.  It was.

The only logical thing to do was to pole down and say hello.

As we pulled up the the gravel bar, the sky darkened and we stood in the rain shooting bull.

CA, RS and I fished the bucket (without a ton of success) but I gotta say that it was cool to be out on the water with these guys.  (Thanks again CA for sharing your beat.)

It's a small, small fly fishing world.




No comments: