Saturday, June 11, 2016

LMB's and the death of a(nother) camera.

I hit the local lake mid-day.  The water was a little green so I full throttled to the inlet and found clear water running in from the river.  I haven't been here for a long time.  I climbed up onto the poling platform and pushed up past the park, through the trailer/campground, under the bridge and into a tree-lined section that looked just like the nowhere I wanted to be in.  I picked a 400 yard section of bank to fish, poled up past it and then dropped the anchor.  I cast my baitfish pattern into the bank and then stripped and paused, stripped and paused.  The silver flash of the fly was visible until it was in the maw of the fish.  It's pretty cool how camouflaged they are.  You can't see a largemouth in this water until they get really close, hit a surface fly or inhale your subsurface offering.

The fish weren't giant but they were decent.  15 and 16's.  Every dark pocket, overhanging tree or submerged log held one.

I was attempting to snap a photo of the 5th or 6th fish when I noticed that my camera stopped working.  The lens was messed up and my heart sank.  It looked bad and later, after an attempted repair, It turned out it WAS bad.  The waterside death of another camera.  I guess there are worse places to expire...

After the 400 yards were dissected, I climbed back on the platform to pole downriver to the outlet.
When I got to the trailer/campground section, I offered up a wave to some of the locals enjoying an afternoon of grilling in their backyard.  "I've never seen a gondolier in Wisconsin before!" came a yell from a middle aged guy in his dirty sleeveless T-Shirt. 

I guess that's about what I looked like...A Largemouth Gondolier.





No comments: