Sunday, June 7, 2015

Vertigo OR The Art of Poling After Dark

KZ was kind enough to make the 45 minute drive to my hood for a guaranteed night of fishing for I don't know what.  The largemouth were in spawn funk and the big gills never showed.  We had about 10 minutes of solid dryfly carping and then we rolled into the darkness.

Standing on a poling platform in a skinny Mod V jon after the light is gone with the first hatch of mosquitoes buzzing and dive bombing flesh is a new thing for me.  Thankfully I never fell off as that would have been (A.) humiliating and (B.) mostly painful.

KZ teased up a smallish pike which was nice because it gave us a name for whatever the hell it was we were doing.  After he took the pliers to force the hook out of the skull of that feisty (but smallish) pike...it dawned on us that we were night fishing for pike.

We did this until the mosquito blood drain caused enough dizziness in my head that I was fearful I might lose balance and fall of my perch.

Luckily, KZ approved of my decision to return to the launch and get gone....

Mama mallard and her lil'uns

KZ on the pole.  Quick study.

Nice evening on the water

Carp...taunting us.

KZ in the nose gunners position

Airing it out

Evidence of a hatch 1

Evidence of a hatch II

No comments: