Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring

It was one of those days. 

I even Googled it to make sure. 

High 60's low 70's, just a puff of breeze.  I knew the water was clear and I knew I had to go. 

So I did.

The dog kept looking at me.  I have a weakness.  I can't idly stand by when I know I can make somebody's life a little better.  The dog looked at me and I thought..."You can stay at home and sit by the window and watch the day go by or you can join me and sit in a boat and watch the day go by".

Obviously a boat is waaaay better than a window.

So, he jumped in the truck and we drove down the road.

I launched the Battle Skiff and we headed south instead of north.
I stood on his leash so he wouldn't jump over the gunwale at every goose or mallard that we passed.

When we got to the channel just west of the flat, I powered down, kicked the motor up and started poling.

We got into position near a dip in the flat that I know carp like to inhabit.  I dropped both rocks and waited only a short time before the first fish arrived.  I pitched and waited. Pitched and retrieved.  No dice.

This was not my eater. 

I stood on the poling platform with my 6 wt in the "ready position"...waiting.

A fish swam up from behind and when I turned my head to scan the water behind me it left a telltale puff and was gone.

I pulled the rocks and let the slight breeze push us around while I stood on the platform.  Watching.

The dog walked fore and aft, leaning starboard and port.  It was like a poling platform training day for me, constantly shifting my weight to allow the dog to do what dogs do.

The breeze puffed from the west and then the north and then from I don't know where.  We almost drifted in a "Z".  Not enough "oooomph" to make us go anywhere specific.  We settled into a holding pattern and I spotted a cruising fish.  I pitched but the weight of the dumbell eyes kicked the cast too far left, I re-pitched too late.

The dog liked to study the bubbles and mud from the fish that got too close to the boat before bolting.

One fish, a nice heavy golden specimen, was finning right toward me.  I led him by 2 feet and the fly sank perfectly.  When the fish was close, I started to nudge it back, the carp tracked it for 4 feet, inhaled and when I felt the tension I strip set.

The weight of the hook pricking the mouth of the fish was affirming, but it didn't stick.

 Damn it.

You can say they are ugly, you can say they are invasive, you can say they are trash fish.

You can't say they are easy to hook with a fly.

Not around here anyway.

Thor...boat dog

Puff

Dog: "They are jumping right over here!"

"...and over here"

sliding by

Bogey

Those eyes say..."you really, really suck at this."

Canadian SeaGull launches off.



No comments: