Sunday, March 8, 2015

Early Season Day 2 - less bushwhacking

One half of a mile.  That was all that was left of the little stream.  We could say we fished it from the source to the confluence...all on opening weekend.  It seemed a shame to leave it undone.

I've determined that part of the reason that fish exist in this creek is that you CANNOT get to them.  The bottom is treacherous and the banks are impossible and the stream is a jumble of downed wood.

But still, we tried.

On a positive note, we saw fish.  There was one in particular that I spotted before it spooked.  It held in little over 12" of water and I would have missed it if its shadow didn't offer a mirrored shape of the fish.  It reminded me of bonefishing when the fish are so well camouflaged that the easiest thing to spot is their shadow.  Instead of attempting a cast (which would have invariably been cut short by the bank side brush) I opted for my camera.  I screwed on my polarizing filter and blasted away.  A few minutes went by before JP showed up on the opposite bank and I suggested that he try to get a picture too.

He was almost in position when the fish and the shadow evaporated into a puff of silt.

The story of our day...












No comments: