Sunday, August 3, 2014

Push Polin'

It got toward the end of a long week of home improvement and I decided that I needed to finally climb up and pole this boat around.  I shot a note to MK and he obliged.  (And by obliged I mean he agreed to fish while I pushed his ass around.)

We hit the local river and had very low expectations as the water this time of year makes for a pretty soupy mess.  I was surprised to see relatively good visibility, probably 18" though a decidedly green tint.

I politely asked him to try and stay centered and not make any sudden movements as i climbed up onto the platform, pole in hand for the first push.

We eased on down the river.

The small baitfish and tiny gills were gorging on hatching damselflies.  The biggest hatch I have ever seen of this particular critter.  I was hoping, as was MK, that it might trigger a major feeding event and that 5 pound largemouth bass would fall all over MK's fly. 

But that didn't happen.

The fishing actually sucked...but the poling was sublime.  After about 30 minutes I climbed down, grabbed my camera and carried it back up.  If I wasn't going to fall off I might as well take some pics.

We spotted some glumping carp back deep in an algae carpet and it seemed like not only our best target of the evening but also a decent test of the poling capabilities.  I pushed.  The boat went.
I will admit that the current was almost nonexistent and the wind was dead, but this trip solidified what I though I already knew about poling...it opens some new doors and is a helluva lot of fun.









No comments: