Monday, April 8, 2013

Blankety Blank

It's not supposed to be about the numbers...but sometimes you can't help it.
So, here they are...
700 - miles driven, 10.5 - hours fished, 36 - degree high for the day,  37 (ish) - water temp, 0 - Number of fresh steelhead in the river (ice was still covering the mouth of the river),  4,594 - number of potential steelhead still in the river after last fall's run,  140 - flow in cubic feet per second at the beginning of the fishing day,  150 - flow in cubic feet per second at the end of the fishing day, 2 - visibility in feet at the beginning of the day,  1 - visibility in feet at the end of the fishing day, 76 - degrees inside of the tent (IC for those of you who know), -20 - degree rating of my down sleeping bag, 0 - number of seconds I was cold that night,  12 - number of flies donated to the river gods, 0 - number of minutes spent for lunch, 1 - number of brown trout fouled, 11 - length in inches of that trout, 1 - number of steelhead landed by McSteel, 26 - number of photos I took of that fish, 39 - number of times I thought "WTF?",  0 - total steelhead landed by yours truly, 0 - total steelhead that gave me any indication that they were in fact in the river, 72 - percent chance that nymphing would have resulted in hooking a fish, 0 - percent chance that I would have nymphed even if I had that rod and box along.  100 - percent chance that I would do the same thing again and expect different results,  100 - percent chance I am an idiot.

McSteel making T-shirt weather

Newly installed Tinkle lights (No, not Twinkle...)

1 of 1

1 of 1

1 of 1
McSteel launching (see the patriot missile in the lower right?)
Working it.

 

5 comments:

JG said...

Nice work...McSteel sure has it dialed in up there. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the only fish in the entire river. I need me some IC time!!

salmobyfly said...

He's a steelhead whisperer. And I'm with you...more IC time required. Thanks for checking in!

Luigi said...

Another great SG installment. Its my go-to for midnight feedings with baby girl. Keep it up!

salmobyfly said...

Luigi,
Glad to hear it. I feel like I need to post more often to help you through. I'll do what I can. Thanks for dropping a note.

Unknown said...

Nice looking steely, I went up a week later than you guys. One fat Chromer,small jack, and a couple baby browns. If you like check out my blog, it is still in it's infancy.

Ike

https://chasingfins.wordpress.com/