Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Spring in my step...or... step in my spring

I ventured back out for some solitude on my homewater this past weekend.
It seems that my neglect of the local spring creek fisheries has cost me.
I don't know if I am slipping or if the fish just aren't hungry, but despite a solid 6 hour outing I landed a grand total of 4 fish...and, I had to dredge nymphs to get them.

I spoke with a local fisherman/creek activist a few days ago for an hour or two who said that this fishery has changed a great deal over the past 20 years. What was once a thriving dry fly stream has largely become a nymphing stream due to a reduction in surface hatching species.
He suggested that the mayfly populations have been on the decline for a while and that most trout seem to find their biggest payoff feeding on stream dwellers such as scuds and the like. His tactics, he divulged, have taken on the form of short line nymphing similar to what is seen on Colorado's South Platte. The problem, as I see it, is that the south Platte is a dammed freestoner and my homewater is a bonafide spring creek...how to plumb the depths of a spring creek with all of that plant life?

On a plus note the scorching hot temps of mid-summer gave way to a pleasant afternoon in the high 70's with a nice breeze. No complaints.


home water as viewed through a cattle crossing fence


Evidence of another year class...


A better than average Brown with my secret recipe peeking caddis style nymph secured in place.


Back you go.


Average.


Photographed as found with steel leader attached...I wonder if it was left here in honor or frustration?

No comments: