Thursday, May 27, 2010

Getting itchy

Last week I was itching to sight fish, with visions of sand flats stuck in my head. On the way to the local state park with my wife and two daughters I grabbed the 7 and a box of bonefish flies...what the heck. Once the kids were safely on the swings and slides (conveniently located near the waters edge) I grabbed the seven and walked to the beach. A pile of rocks at the end of the beach seemed a good place to climb up and take a peek.
The minute I was up, a largemouth left the cover of the shoreline and sauntered toward deeper water. I pasted a quick cast, it turned, keyed on the fly and sped up (strip, strip...leave it, leave it) the largemouth tilted up and took my fly off the bottom lust like a bonefish...strip set. Fish on. No, it didn't peel 200 yards of backing of my reel, but the events leading up to the hook sit: pure flats fishing.
My lovely wife, saw the fish and asked for a turn with my fly rod.
My turn to play guide.
Peering through the surface glare with my polarized glasses as we scrambled across the top of the rocks, a second bass peeled off the shore just like the first. "35 feet, a little further...drop it", I was doing my best Bahamian guide imitation. "Strip...drop your rod tip...strip...short strip". The largemouth turned, tracked the fly, tilted up, opened it's mouth... "Set! You've got him!" ....and she did.


Largemouth Bonefish (note the bonefish fly in his lip)

Daughter one - strikes a pose

No comments: