Sunday, August 9, 2009

Trout'n


I had a family "theme park weekend" planned this weekend (I do it for the children...) and was certain that without a dose of angling I was probably going to lose my head and do something that might cause me future apologies. With that in mind, I cut out of work an hour early on Friday and blasted out to a favorite trout crick. The fishing log, if I kept one, would look something like this:

Date: 8/7/09
Time: 4:30-8:30 PM
Water: Notachance Creek
Weather: Overcast, intermittent showers (light), 63 degrees (estimate)
Flow: 50 cfs
Water Temp: (felt cold)
Equipment: 3 weight Sage, Ross reel, 3 boxes of flies, hemo's 4,5,6 and 7x tippet, fanny pack.
Report: Due to road construction there was no traffic, nobody on the river, nobody fishing. Due to weather, the baetis were peeling off of every riffle and the trout were eating on top. It only took me an hour to figure this out after casting over a lonesome riser in the slow corner out of sight from the next riffle where the game was on. I managed a few fish, blew a few fish and certainly had no need to take out the tape measure. But, I was alone, it was quiet and the fish were right where I like them.
****end log entry****

All in all a perfect pre-salve to shield my nerves from the chaotic hell that comes with jumping in the mosh-pit that is August at America's Premier Waterpark Destination...I did it for the children and I did it well.

1 comment:

K said...

Exellent form in style and balance.