Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Vineyard

I was on Martha's Vineyard last week.

I was working.

But, I always have an 8 wt. with me while I work.

Actually, I grabbed the wrong tube and I had a 7 wt. with. It got a little doggy with the 300 grain streamer line that I had intended for the 8 weight, but luckily, I also had my 8 wt. floating redfish line along and it made casting off the Big Bridge Jetty a little more tolerable. Punk Blue's were chasing bait and the miniature blood bath was worth the price of admission. I landed one small blue, admired the teeth that everybody tells you to avoid and then spent a little time talking to the locals about the fishing. Later, I witnessed a feeding frenzy beneath the pilings of the Big Bridge. Bass or Blues (I'm not sure which) of about 8-10 pounds were rasing holy hell. A Bonafide Blitz. Too far from the bank to attempt a shot and even if the locals weren't lowering all manner of bait over the railing and into the fray, it would have meant a pathetic dap and probably a damaged, if not lost, flyline.

The Island

Big Bridge, Martha's Vineyard

The fly should match the bait...not catch the bait

1 comment:

K said...

In the bank all around. The last two posts may identify you as a rat. One with daughter in boat fishing and the next in some chinese backwater fighting for algae picking rights.