Thursday, March 13, 2008

Smelt Run

I was thinking about my Bro up in N. MN. I was thinking about the lake trout and the steelhead in Lake Superior. I was thinking about their limited forage base. I started thinking about smelt. They are a relatively large baitfish to imitate with a fly. But I think I'm getting close. This fly is constructed of EP Fiber and a little angel hair. It sheds water on the first backcast and is translucent and fishy looking in the water. I was thinking I might give it a try next time I'm up that way.

The red behind the eye isn't a hole in the fiber, it's actually a red tag of yarn, that I'm hoping will simulate gills.
Maybe I should have picked a better background color?

2 comments:

K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K said...

Steelhead indeed. It also looks like a Halls Pond hellraiser.