Sunday, September 30, 2007

Back to the crick.

With trout season winding down, I thought it necessary to hit the crick for an afternoon to see how the browns weathered the summer. JP joined me for a leisurely fish on BEC. I took my 7'6" Schroeder 4 wt, because it seemed the appropriate tool for the day, and an appropriate tool for the my target species (and because, with all the SMB fishing on the big W this year I haven't had a chance to fish much cane).
Well the gods were smiling; The fish were up, eating whatever stage of the baetis hatch that drifted by. Obviously you can dredge nymphs with just about any rod, but when you have a bamboo rod in hand, it's so much more enjoyable to flick dries and emergers.
So I did.
I won't talk about the size of the fish because A. I didn't measure any of them, and B. I know that only one of the browns I fooled was over 10". BUT, the day was dry, the fish were rising and the company was good. Quite honestly, I was just happy to be back on the crick one last time before the season closed.

On second thought, a 20" brown would have made a better story...
...next year.

2 comments:

K said...

Flick dries. In a world of weight, that got me salivating.

salmobyfly said...

salivating is the only way you're gonna lose water weight... flicking dries is no sweat. Such sweet pleasure.