Monday, August 6, 2007

Trout?

As of today I have been a stay at home Dad for two and a half months. My youngest daughter is currently sleeping soundly downstairs and I am updating Snake Guides for all of you folks who are sitting in your offices watching the clock and looking for a diversion from the daily Grind. Lest you look on me with envy, let me say that the grass is always greener. Although I love my kids eternally, changing shitty diapers at home on a perfect fishing day isn't much different than what you all are doing...Does anyone know where I can get a floating infant seat for my boat? Ok, back to the point. Trout. Haven't seen one. Haven't fished them in god knows how long. Summer 2007 will go down as the summer of Daddy Day Care and smallmouth on the Wisconsin. Craig and I hit the river last night for a quick fix. Pounded up a few fish and then made a perilous voyage upstream to the landing just before complete darkness shrouded our plodding. Which brings me to another point. If any of you are ever thinking of securing a boat for the Wisconsin River, don't buy a motor bigger than a 9.9. You will never safely run at full throttle even with a 6 like mine. At first I tried to read the water to avoid the evils of schoals and downed timber. Now I try to memorize the runs as much as I can, run at 1/4 throttle and keep my eyes glued to the depthfinder. On the run last night I managed to bury the skeg in gravel twice and bump one dead head and a rock. Treacherous demon, this river.




No comments: