Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Rigging 3

It's time for an update.

I toyed around long enough trying to decide what the floor material should be.  I called around and spoke to reps, suppliers, manufacturers, hitmen, and showgirls.  I settled on ABS.  A local plastics guy took my order and told me he needed a week.

I also sent my check into my metal guys for the lean bar.

Finally, I jumped back and forth between Seadeck and Hydroturf for the casting deck...in the end I settled on Hydroturf since they had wider sheets and also sold "blemished seconds".

All three orders arrived yesterday and today.

I made a template for the ribs of the boat to speed up the patterning of the floor.  I hauled the 48"x96" sheet of 1/4" abs into the house last night and started drawing out the cuts.

Tonight, I set-up the saw-horses and started cutting.  I have a little finish work to do but overall the stiffness and pattern looks great.  I've read that ABS doesn't do well with UV.  I may paint over this with gray paint and then add some Hydroturf to give it some grip and cushion.

The Hydroturf looks good too.  I still have to decide on a pattern for the casting deck and then figure out how I will use the overage for the floor.

My custom stainless steel lean bar showed up at my doorstep today and I was a little apprehensive as a cut the cardboard off.  All I can say is that the metal fab guys nailed it.  I ran some measurements and they are dead on.  Kudos and thanks to Rick and the crew at TBC Metalworks in Green Bay.

I've been doing my planning based on 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC assuming that 1 1/4" schedule 40 Stainless would be the same outside diameter.  As it turns out Stainless is just a tiny bit larger o.d. than PVC.  I reworked the lean bar deck braces but I still need to mill out the underdeck mounting cups.  I'd rather that the stainless o.d. was larger instead of smaller...it's a little more work but overall an easy fix.

Things are coming together.



2 comments:

JG said...

The showgirls would have suggested a nice hardwood floor...perhaps with the lean bar mounted vertically.

salmobyfly said...

That's exactly what they recommended...even though I suggested the wood might rot and that I was going stainless instead of brass on the lean bar.